Power your Marketing.

The Crucial Role of the Mailing Industry in the U.S. Economy

Kurt Ruppel

Whether you’re “feeling the Bern,” want to “make America great again,” or are “standing with her,” the United States has launched into our quadrennial discussion of what direction the nation should take in the future. A large part of that discussion focuses on the health of the national economy, especially its ability to provide the jobs Americans need to support their families.

IWCO Direct is proud to be part of the U.S. mailing industry, which provides Americans with 7.5 million jobs across every state and congressional district in the country. That’s 6% of all jobs in the U.S.! And given the nature of what we do, those jobs can’t be easily moved off-shore.

Not many people realize the critical role the mailing industry plays in the U.S. economy. In addition to jobs, the U.S. mailing industry contributes $1.4 trillion in sales revenue to the economy – 4.6% of total U.S. output. That makes us similar in size to both the airline industry and the oil and natural gas industry.

Mailing industry jobs include manufacturing, distribution and mail management. Private companies in the industry include print and mail service providers, direct mail design agencies, paper producers, private sector delivery firms and suppliers to all these companies. Twenty-seven percent of industry jobs involve mail production and distribution, 28% support the management of mail across all industries and 45% are with businesses that use mail to advertise and deliver their goods and services.

You may be surprised to learn that only 8% of the 7.5 million mailing industry jobs are with the U.S. Postal Service. The other 92% are in private industry. But 73% of all mailing industry jobs are dependent upon a financially strong Postal Service and the delivery infrastructure it provides.

The jobs and revenue provided by the mailing industry are also important elements in the economies of our home states of Minnesota and Pennsylvania. In Minnesota, our industry supports 164,000 jobs and drives $27.3 billion in revenue; while in Pennsylvania it accounts for 313,000 jobs and injects $26.6 billion into the economy.

So whomever you choose to support this November, remember the mailing industry needs your support all year to continue providing an important source of jobs to the U.S. economy.

Thanks to the EMA Foundation for Paper-Based Communications whose 2015 Mailing Industry Job Study is the source for the statistics in this post. Thanks also to Cheryl Chapman of International Paper Company and the EMA Foundation and Peter Johnson, PhD, Principal, mLightenment Research, who were the primary authors of the study.

link https://www.iwco.com/blog/2016/05/20/importance-of-mailing-industry-to-economy/
Kurt Ruppel


Kurt Ruppel

Kurt Ruppel is Director Postal Policy and Marketing Communications. He educates clients on postal regulations and rates, helps ensure mail packages meet spec, and develops postal strategies that achieve in-home delivery targets at the best possible postage rates. Kurt has brought the “all of us know more than any of us” business philosophy to IWCO Direct for 40 years (oy!). He is a three-time IWCO Direct President’s Award winner, Chairman of the EMA Board of Directors, graduate of Utah State University, gardening enthusiast, and Ohio State Buckeye Football fan.

More Posts by Kurt


Subscribe via email to our Stevie® and Feedspot award-winning blog and get a fresh post delivered weekly to your inbox. We promise to keep it interesting, but you can easily unsubscribe if we don’t.

Join us for Walk-in Wednesdays hiring events on our Chanhassen campus! Learn More
keyboard_arrow_upBack to top