We often talk about the power of direct mail. It not only delivers proven results – it inspires performance across all marketing channels. I wanted to share a recent Forbes article from Lois Geller entitled, “The Ridiculously Inexpensive Magic of Direct Mail Letters!” It was well written and practical, but it also reinforces a lot of what we write about here at SpeakingDirect. Here are a few key takeaways from Geller’s piece:
- Direct mail letters are incredibly versatile. They’re great for acquiring new business, winning back lost customers and mending fences if a mistake is made. Geller provides a few real-world examples – all of which speak to the wide-ranging capabilities of direct mail letters.
- Direct mail letters are very powerful and inexpensive. It’s easy to experiment with direct mail letters because they aren’t expensive to produce. And they’re generally very effective. Geller notes response rates up to 1,300% higher than “the much fancier control package.” And your biggest challenge is often finding a good copy writer. At IWCO Direct, our Creative Services team often assists customers in this area.
- Direct mail letters resonate well with younger audiences. This is a trend we’ve called out before. Direct mail is often more successful with younger audiences due to email overload. The tangible feeling of a physical mailpiece stands out and cuts through online clutter. While Geller sites a specific demographic (males between the ages of 30 and 50), studies show this movement applies to a wide range of younger audiences. In fact, according to the ExactTarget 2012 Channel Preference Study, 57% of 25-34-year-olds have made a purchase as a result of a direct mail offer.
Here are five additional tips from the article to consider:
- Generate great content
- Personalize the letter and offer
- Test different packages
- Offer something exclusive to those who receive the letter
- Make it easy to respond
Sometimes the simplest idea – a well-written direct mail letter – works best. Whether you’re looking to line up new customers, win back old ones or keep those you have, direct mail letters done right are an inexpensive and effective way to improve results – some might even call them magical.
Subscribe via email to our Stevie® and Feedspot award-winning blog and get a fresh post delivered weekly to your inbox. We promise to keep it interesting, but you can easily unsubscribe if we don’t.