A few months ago we highlighted the results of IWCO Direct’s efforts to be better stewards of the environment. With Arbor Day and Earth Day occurring recently, now seems like the perfect time to touch on some of the ways our partners are helping reduce their environmental impact as well.
Raw material choices play an important role at IWCO Direct. Due to the very nature of direct mail, paper is often the first product we think about. So it’s very exciting to note that one of our major paper suppliers, Domtar, was ranked 95th out of the 500 largest U.S. publicly-held companies in Newsweek’s 2010 “100 Greenest Companies in America” report.
Here are some interesting facts about Domtar:
- In 2010, their average facility generated over 75% of its thermal energy from renewable fuels.
- Their total direct greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions have decreased more than 33% since 2002.
- They became the first forest products company in North America to achieve Forest Stewardship Council (FSC) certification. All Domtar facilities are FSC, Sustainable Forestry Initiative (SFI) and/or Programme for the Endorsement of Forest Certification (PEFC) certified.
- Domtar participates in numerous collaborative efforts that encourage FSC land certification, including Carbon Canopy, FSC Procurement Group, and The Nature Conservancy’s Working Woodlands.
- For more than a decade they’ve collaborated with organizations such as the World Wildlife Fund and Rainforest Alliance.
- They support responsible forest management and the recycling of all renewable, plant-based products, including paper.
We have many supply partners with noteworthy sustainability practices, and we plan to highlight their efforts throughout the year. As a direct marketer, be sure to inquire about what the suppliers are doing to make your next campaign environmentally responsible.
Subscribe via email to our Stevie® and Feedspot award-winning blog and get a fresh post delivered weekly to your inbox. We promise to keep it interesting, but you can easily unsubscribe if we don’t.