In theory, it makes perfect sense for a national direct mail campaign to be produced in multiple locations, with each piece produced as close to its final destination as possible.
But is the geographic distribution of mail from multiple plants real and do the benefits outweigh the challenges?
The entering of mail from more than one location based on geographic optimization has numerous benefits to the marketer’s program:
1. It dramatically decreases the average in-home cycle for the mail piece
2. It lowers program transportation costs and likely the per-piece postage costs
3. It lessens environmental impact because of less transportation required for the whole program
So it must be a no brainer, let’s start today! Hold on, cowboy. First there are practical items that need to be accounted for and solved. Before you jump into a multi-plant drop plan ask yourself the following:
1. Does your supplier have optimized plant locations coupled with an ERP system that would allow for a multi-plant drop plan within your specific program?
2. Do the additional costs of make readies and equipment set-up required to produce the same program in multiple locations outweigh the cost savings?
3. Does this strategy create additional staff time to manage multiple sets for proofs and sign offs?
4. Are your response channels (call centers or mail processing centers) scheduled around a single location drop versus a multiple location drop that will increase in-home dates dramatically?
OK, so it’s not as simple as some may think. But all these challenges can be overcome if your team is willing to invest some time with the right supplier. Once these challenges are planned for and addressed ONCE, then the “go forward” process can adopt the modifications to allow for a smooth multi-location drop schedule week in and week out.
Folks, the marketing benefits for building a program that can optimize a multi-plant drop plan absolutely outweigh what drawbacks or investments you and your supplier have to make.
If you are interested in learning more, please reach out to a sales representative or a marketing contact at IWCO Direct. We have the plant locations, technology platform and postal/logistics relationship to make this theory a reality.
Have a good week.
Subscribe to SpeakingDIRECT to have new articles delivered to your inbox as they post. We promise to keep it fresh and interesting.